Ministry of Labour Complaints

Employees that are covered under the Employment Standards Act (ESA) can file a claim with the Ministry of Labour if they believe that their employer is not complying with the law. An individual can make a complaint to the Ministry of Labour by calling the Ministry’s Health and Safety Contact Centre. 

Employees can file complaints for an alleged violation of the ESA, such as payment of wages, wage entitlement and pay, vacation pay, overtime pay, failure to pay termination and severance pay, maternity and parental leave, hours of work, reprisals, and public holidays. 

Complaints to the Ministry of Labour can be anonymous.

How can Zeilikman Law help?

Our experienced lawyers understand the importance for employers to manage their staff in accordance with the Ministry of Labour, the ESA, and the Human Rights Code. 

We can help provide the legal advice needed to ensure that management of staff meets the statutory and legislated requirements, such as with regards to employee documentation, recruitment, dismissals, and maternity and parental leave. 

We can also provide you with advocacy and representation before the Ministry of Labour, various regulatory bodies, administrative tribunals and the courts at hearings and on appeals. 

At Zeilikman Law, we approach these issues with logical and creative solutions. If your business is concerned with any of the above, or if it is facing a legal proceeding, we invite you to contact us for a consultation or call us at 905-417-2227.

Legal Receptionist

Zeilikman Law is an employment law firm located in Vaughan, Ontario. We are looking to hire a legal receptionist to join our firm. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working as a receptionist at another law firm.

Location: Vaughan, Ontario.

Start Date: Immediately.

Hours: Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm. Full time. In-person only. This is not a remote work position.

Wages: 35,000 to 40,000 per year.

Duties and Responsibilities:

  • Manage our firm’s multi-line telephone system to receive incoming calls.  Screen incoming telephone call inquiries to determine the nature of the telephone call and provide standard information related to our legal services.  Take and deliver messages and route incoming telephone calls to the appropriate staff person.
  • Answer general inquiries coming from the firm’s social media and website email.
  • Welcome in-person visitors upon arrival.  Direct visitors to the appropriate staff person and / or office or boardroom.
  • Organize in-person visitor schedule to prevent overlap and multiple bookings.
  • Receive, sort, and distribute daily mail and deliveries.
  • Arrange for couriers.
  • Keep front reception, kitchenette area and boardroom tidy.
  • Perform various clerical duties such as filing, photocopying, and faxing on an as-needed basis.
  • Process client or other payments.
  • May be asked to run minor errands outside of office such as attending post office to arrange a courier or pick up mail.
  • May be asked to assist other law clerks or lawyers of the firm as required and as appropriate.
  • Any other basic administrative duties or tasks as deemed appropriate.

Required Skills:

  • Basic knowledge of general office procedures including filing, faxing, and printing and copying.
  • Basic word processing computer skills.
  • Proficient in receptionist and telephone practices, etiquette, and decorum.
  • Professional attitude and appearance.
  • Excellent organizational skills.
  • Positive customer service attitude is a must.
  • Must be able to maintain confidential and sensitive information.

Education and Experience:

  • Highschool diploma or equivalent.
  • 1 – 2 years’ experience in an office setting with an emphasis in accounting, reception or clerical work is required.   We would prefer experience in a law firm environment.

Applications for this position should be sent via email to jennifer@zeilikmanlaw.com. All applications should include a cover letter, resume and at least two references. Only successful candidates will be contacted.